Thursday, March 12, 2020

S2: "Joseph's Bizarre Hamburger"

Video link



I always knew about the existence of "JoJo reference" memes but I never really bothered on them. When it came to making my second "Bing Soy TF2" video, it would have to be a JoJo reference/video.



I got into JJBA because this video. I am dedicated to my work. So dedicated to embody a JoJo reference, I watched at least all of seasons 1 & 2. At the time of making the video, I think JJBA was up to season 3, at around episode 26 (over halfway done season).



Note that I watched the dubbed version, as I usually prefer the original language of a film, even if I don't understand it. Also, note that the original Japanese releases were way before English releases, so the release dates will be a little weird. I'm not exactly sure if I caught up exactly to the lastest released epiosde of JJBA, but I know it didn't take me too long to catch up completely to the latest one.



Yes, I binged the hell out of the show just so I can properly do a JoJo reference. This is the dedication I have. It's a good thing I ended up liking the show, because I was going to watch it no matter what anyway to make my video.



I didn't own Dishonored and I didn't want to use the same game sketchek used for his JoJo video. He took advantage of the time stop ability in the game - among with others - to draw parallels and do a JoJo reference. I have watched the video before, but with the newfound knowledge of the JoJo's on my side, I now know it was a Stardust Crusaders (JJBA S2) reference.



So, I was going to do a JJBA S2 reference. I was thinking about doing it with Faceless Void's Chronophere ability (stops time in a bubble, much like Dio's "The World" stand) in Dota 2 as I happen to play Dota 2 and know my way around it. I lacked the hardware to get a clean recording of Dota 2, as the only option to record it is live with OBS. At the time, I was using a low-spec computer. So I turned to animation. SFM, to be precise. With animation, the final product can be rendered out instead of being a live recording of gameplay for a film (I think the word for this is "machinima").



SFM kind of limits its lighting options and ambient occlusion options for low-end hardware, but fortunately, I could somewhat counteract it with color correction and grading, since the render could come out washed out. As of writing this blogpost, I have a better PC and can use SFM to its fullest extent without hardware limitations (I still need to become a better animator though).






SFM Animation project window



At the time I didn't know there was a SFM script on the workshop for rigging biped models other than the TF2 models, so animating was made harder and more discouraging than it had to me. Good thing there was minimal animation needed otherwise I would have probably put it off.



sketchek used music/sfx from the 1998 JJBA arcade game (most likely the PS1 port). To me more precise he used Jotaro and Dio's voice lines/sfx. I used mostly the same audio he used, but in a more coherent way since he edited in a way that made him look like he was being both Jotaro and Dio.

This animation isn't really much in terms to high creativity but it's something nonetheless. If I do make a JoJo animation in the future, I would like it to be much more creative.



I may not be able to salvage all of the video information from most of my videos non-demo related as most early projects have been deleted.

 


Additional video info


Footage recording date: N/A

Animation project date range: 2019/03/15 - 2019/03/18

Project editing range: 2019/03/19 - 2019/03/21

Video publish date: 2019/03/21




Music used


"Jotaro Theme"

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1998 video game) OST




SFX used


"Jotaro/Star Platinum Voices/Sound Effects Jojo PS1 Game"

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1998 video game)



"DIO Voices/Sound Effects Jojo PS1 Game"

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1998 video game)



"Joseph Joestar "Oh No" and "Oh My God" Compilation"

JJBA S2